Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Whole30 Approved this bowl of Sweet Potato Noodles with Vegan Cheese Sauce is all of these things and more! It is a great alternative to a traditional bowl of pasta with cheese sauce.
Personally, I am not dairy free or gluten free, I don’t choose to be vegan and I am not currently doing a Whole30. However, I know that one or more of these things may apply to you and I like to dabble. I like trying new things in my kitchen and if it can help some of you out then it’s all the more worth it!
When I started thinking about this cheese sauce I knew I didn’t want it to have any butternut squash or other vegetable in it. I’ve tried some recipes that do use a vegetable as a base for the vegan cheese and I think it takes on too much of the flavor of the vegetable. They taste more like a dairy free butternut squash sauce, which is delicious, but to me they weren’t cheesy enough.
Let’s be honest, replicating cheese, a product made almost 100% from dairy without any dairy isn’t easy. Getting the consistency and the taste right is a tough equation. It turned out less is more with finding a recipe that would work for both taste and texture. This cheese sauce is primarily 3 ingredients – soaked cashews, nutritional yeast and coconut milk. The cashews and coconut milk help give it that smooth cheesy texture while the nutritional yeast saves the day with it’s cheesy flavor. In addition, it has paprika, garlic, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to try to balance the flavors and combat some of the sweetness that comes naturally from the cashews and coconut milk.
To be clear, this is not cheese, but it is a darn good close substitute 🙂
- 4 large sweet potatoes, spiraled
- *8oz soaked cashews
- ½ cup water + more for soaking
- 1 cup **coconut milk, divided
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut the ends so they are flat enough to attache to the spiralizer
- Spiralized the sweet potatoes, set aside
- Drain the soaked cashews
- In a powerful blender, blend the soaked cashews on high
- Add ½ cup water and ½ cup coconut milk, blend
- Add the nutritional yeast, blend
- Add remaining ½ cup coconut milk, blend
- Add the crushed garlic, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, paprika and salt
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes until sauce is completely smooth, set aside
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Working in batches, sauté the sweet potato noodles until al dente, ***5-7 minutes
- Season with sea salt as desired
- Divvy the sweet potato noodles between the bowls and top with cheese sauce and a sprinkle of paprika if desired
**To keep this recipe Whole30 compliant use a whole30 approved coconut milk
If you are looking for a spiralizer this is the one I use and highly recommend. For the price (under $30) it gives you 5 different blade options and it has section cup feet which keeps it stable for spiralizing hard things like sweet potatoes.
My favorite whole30 compliant coconut milk is Thai Kitchen’s Lite Coconut Milk, you can find it in most grocery stores.
Pin It For Later:
Some of the links above are affiliate links. I only recommend products I love and use. Thanks so much for supporting Chocolate Covered Cheetah!