Looking to make healthy choices, but craving comfort food to get through this brutal winter freeze? This Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai is the answer! Same great taste, with vegetable noodles for a healthy boost!
Winter hit hard this year. Like a ton of bricks in your face kind of hard. The cold spell we have been experiencing on the East Coast has been brutal. Here in the DC area has not been nearly as bad as the cold felt by the states farther north and we some how pretty much escaped the “Bomb Cyclone” that slammed states to our North and South, but the cold has been enough to cramp my style.
Let’s take a break from this cold and transport to the tropics. Do it with me, close your eyes, dream of your favorite beach. Feel the warm ocean breeze and the hot sand between your toes. The sun beating down on your vitamin D deprived skin listening to the soothing sound of waves crashing on the shore…
Wasn’t that nice?
Food, like visualization, can have a big impact on our mood and this Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai will help ease the pain of this harsh winter weather. I promise! Make this for dinner and you will feel like you are on vacation!
With the new year just begun lots of us are looking for healthy options or alternatives. Spaghetti Squash is one of those magical vegetable in place of pasta options. And bonus, half of the skin once the squash is baked can serve as your bowl!
Pad Thai is one of my favorite thai dishes and one of Walter’s all-time favorite meals. This healthy alternative is pretty easy, no really exotic ingredients required, everything you need you can find at a traditional grocery store. And bonus, you have to turn on your oven to bake the spaghetti squash — right now, it’s 12°F so that is a real bonus!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp red chilis, chopped
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ¾ cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Extra green onion, bean sprouts and peanuts for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Carefully slice spaghetti squash in half the long way
- Remove seeds and brush with olive oil
- Bake face down for 40-45 minutes
- Using a fork, shred the spaghetti squash into "noodles" and remove it from the skin (set aside skin to use as bowls if desired)
- Put cooked and shredded spaghetti squash in a colander to drain any excess water
- In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, red chilis and hot water (to dissolve the brown sugar), set aside
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
- Add onions and garlic, sauté 3-4 minutes
- Gently press down on the spaghetti squash in the colander to remove any remaining excess water
- Add 4 cups spaghetti squash and the shrimp, cook for 2 minutes until shrimp starts to turn pink
- Mix in sauce
- Add the eggs, scrambles with a fork until cooked and mixed in
- Sauté 3-4 more minutes
- Min in green onion, bean sprouts and peanuts
- Serve in spaghetti squash skin "bowl", top with more green onion, bean sprouts and peanuts if desired