Since we were away for the weekend and then semi snowed in yesterday we did not have a lot of dinner options to choose from. So I took to the freezer. Walter and I disagree on the freezer. I love to freeze EVERYTHING. I make cookies, I put them in the freezer. Make a large lasagna, put 1/2 in the freezer. It makes life so much easier for the days you just don’t want to cook anything or you need something last minute. Walter would rather eat it until it is gone and skip the freezer. Doesn’t matter if he eats the same thing for 6 meals straight. I am grateful for that because he is not the slightest bit picky, but sometimes freezing is the better option.
Last night in the freezer I found marinated beef strips and broccoli florets. I was happy to be able to incorporate a vegetable because, other than a bag of onions, we were completely out of fresh vegetables. I decided I would make an asian inspired meal that, in terms of produce,only required beef, broccoli and garlic (also from the freezer – Costco pre-peeled garlic cloves, a life saver 🙂 ). The only task left was to find a sauce. I found this recipe by Damn Delicious and adapted the sauce based off what I had on hand. Because of the cornstarch and sugars in the sauce, it forms a nice glaze on the beef, just what I was hoping for! It came together quickly!
Prepare produce and sauce.
In a large skillet, brown the beef. Add broccoli, garlic and sauce, simmer.
Serve over rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb. beef strips, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, add water and cornstarch, whisk until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, honey, Sriracha, garlic powder and red pepper flakes, whisk vigorously until sugar and honey dissolve.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add beef strips, cook 1-2 minutes on one side until browned, flip.
- Add broccoli, garlic and sauce.
- Turn skillet up to medium-high heat, simmer about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened and broccoli is cooked.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice.