Hello! Who else is having a hard time determining if it is February or June?! The unseasonably warm weather has us all confused, but one thing is for sure, it’s Girl Scout Cookie season! I’m not the biggest fan of eating the cookies on their own, but I’ve made a new tradition of transforming the cookies into a sweet treat. Last year I made Thin Mint Brownie Bars (please excuse my terrible photography – I swear they are delicious, though they don’t look it – they are on my list of photos to re-do 🙂 ) and this year I made Samoa Popcorn!
I’m no Girl Scout Cookie expert, but Samoas, also known as Caramel deLites, are in the “popular group”, you know, when you bring up Girl Scout Cookies with your friends everyone remembers them, everybody talks about them. No one is talking about the Lemonades or the Toffee-tastics. Though I’m sure loved by lots, these lesser known cookies missed out on their Girl Scout Cookie fame. Any American could name you Samoa, most Thin Mints and many Tagalongs, they are the cool cookies, deservingly or not 🙂
Samoas are a caramel, toasted coconut cookie, drizzled in chocolate (I say this as if you don’t already know 🙂 ). To enhance the Samoa flavor in the popcorn, aside from adding real Samoas, I also added toasted coconut and Dove Sea Salt Caramel Dark Chocolates.
This popcorn recipe is probably the easiest recipe I’ve ever posted. Other than toasting the coconut, you basically just mix everything together and melt the chocolate. You don’t even have to pop the popcorn! In fact, I recommend that you don’t. Boom Chicka Pop, or another of your favorite pre-popped popcorn will work better for this recipe than if you pop your own. Home popped popcorn does not stay as fresh or hold up as well when covered in toppings!
Once you chop up the cookies and chocolates and mix everything together, spread the mix onto a baking sheet and put in the oven to melt the chocolate. Once melted, mix again to coat popcorn with the melted chocolate and caramel, add some more Samoa pieces, spread back on the tray for the chocolate to dry and then you are ready to enjoy your Samoa Popcorn!
- 15 Samoa cookies
- 6 cups Boom Chicka Pop Sea Salt Popcorn
- 1.5 cups sweetened coconut
- 10 Dove Sea Salt Caramel Dark Chocolates
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Spread coconut on a small baking sheet
- Toast coconut for 5-7 minutes at 350°F until just golden brown
- Meanwhile, chop the Dove chocolates into small pieces
- Chop 10 Samoas into small pieces
- Once the coconut is done, turn the oven down to 250°F
- In a large bowl, mix together the popcorn, chocolates, Samoas and toasted coconut
- Spread onto a large baking sheet, set bowl aside
- Put baking sheet in oven for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining Samoas into small pieces
- Remove pan from the oven, spoon popcorn mixture back into the bowl, mix to coat popcorn in chocolate
- Mix in remaining Samoa cookie pieces
- Spread Samoa Popcorn back onto the baking sheet, allow it to cool and dry
- Store in an air tight container