Greetings from Napa! A very rainy Napa, but beautiful none the less! We’ve had a great time vacationing here and in Vegas, but today we fly back to go back to reality 🙁
The Napa area has had a lot of rain over the past few weeks, which, I understand, is much needed due to a drought situation they were in. Yesterday, a lot of vineyards were closed due to flooding and even some of the streets we tried to drive down were impassable. It has made for a unique experience here, but we have still had an amazing time – tune in later this week for a recap!
Whenever I’m in a rainy environment soup is always on my mind. Today I am sharing this Roasted Curry Cauliflower Soup with you!
First, toss the cauliflower with olive oil, sea salt, curry powder and garlic powder. Spread cauliflower on a lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes at 450°F. While the cauliflower is roasting, sauté onion and garlic in a large pot with some olive oil until golden brown. Add the roasted cauliflower to the pot, with water and some more curry powder and sea salt. Let pot simmer over low heat 25-30 minutes. Purée soup, sprinkle with curry powder and serve!
To purée the soup I used my new immersion blender, the Cuisinart Smart Stick 2 Speed Hand Blender. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked and how easy it was to use! It only took about 2 minutes to fully puree the whole pot. It also made for a much easier clean up because I was able to just use this one pot and not have to transfer the soup into a blender. But, if you don’t have a hand held blender, you can use a regular blender to purée, just be careful not to spill the hot soup!
- 2 heads cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 5 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cups water
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F
- In a bowl, toss cauliflower with 1/2 cup olive oil, 4 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp garlic powder
- Spread onto a greased baking sheet
- Place in oven, roast for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a large pot
- Add chopped onion and garlic, sauté 3-5 minutes until golden brown
- Add roasted cauliflower, water, 1 tsp curry powder and 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Simmer 25-30 minutes over low heat
- Puree with an *immersion blender until smooth
- Sprinkle with curry powder and serve hot
- *If you do not have an immersion blender you can puree in a regular blender working in batches. If you are going to do this, it is best to cool the soup first so you don't burn yourself.