Confession, I have been afraid of making poached eggs. I pushed my eggs benedict cooking goal from 2016 to 2017 because I was avoiding making them… silly, I know! After doing some research I found a bunch of hacks for making easy poached eggs!
I tried 2 different techniques and to my surprise they both worked on the first try! The first way was using the mason jar lid trick. Have you guys done this before? You bring a pot of water to a boil, drop in the outer rings of mason jars, one for each egg you want to poach, and then crack an egg into each. The rings help the eggs hold their shape and not separate while cooking. If you want a step-by-step how to for this technique, check it out on Pinch of Yum!
The second technique is to actually bake them in the oven in muffin tins! To do this, first pre-heat your oven to 350°F, add 1 tablespoon of water to each cup of the muffin tin, crack an egg into each cup over the water. Place in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, the less time you cook them, the runnier the yolks will be. Remove the poached egg with a slotted spoon. The kitchn provides a more in-depth look into how to poach an egg in the oven here. They recommend cooking the eggs for 11-13 minutes for runny yolks, I found that they were done more quickly than that, but if you like a firmer yolk just leave them in for longer.
Ultimately I decided that baking the yolk was the best option for this recipe because I like the taller, narrower look the tins give the eggs. They end up being the perfect size to rest atop the sweet potato nests!
These Poached Eggs with Guac on a Sweet Potato Nest are currently winning in my book for the best Whole30 breakfast so far! For us they are a weekend breakfast since they are more time intensive. But they are totally worth it! Any excuse to have guacamole for breakfast, right?!
- 2 cups sweet potato nests, spiralized
- 1 egg
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 tbsp red onion, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- sea salt to taste
- Mix the spiralized sweet potato together with an egg, sea salt and pepper
- Heat an electric skillet or frying pan to medium heat
- Melt coconut oil
- Form sweet potato into 2 nests, and put in pan
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Place 1 tbsp water into 2 muffin tins
- Crack an egg into each
- Place muffin pan in the oven
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon being careful not to crack the yolk
- Place one poached egg on each nest
- In a small bowl, smash the avocado
- Mix in the tomatoes, onion, cumin, coriander and lime juice
- Fold in cilantro
- Season with sea salt to taste
- Put a spoonful on top of the poached egg
Pin It For Later: