Happy First Day of Summer! It’s been feeling very much like summer around here for a while now, but today we make it official. Today in the DC area we will have nearly 15 hours of daylight! The added daylight is one of the things I love most about summer. Having the sun up before me makes it so much easier to not hit snooze!
I am looking forward to lots of BBQ’ing out on our deck this summer! And what’s a BBQ without dessert! Being that my day job is in the ice cream business I rarely make it at home, but I really wanted to kick of the summer with an ice cream recipe you could make easily at home! No fancy machines, rock salt or liquid nitrogen, haha.
This No-Churn Cannoli Ice Cream comes together with just a few ingredients in just about 5 minutes (not including freezing time). Using your electric mixer (stand or handheld) fitted with whisk attachment you are going to whisk together ricotta cheese and coconut cream for 3 minutes. Add in a can of sweetened condensed milk and whisk for 2 more minutes. Mix in vanilla extract and cinnamon for flavor and then fold in pistachios and mini-chocolate chips. This mixture gets layered into a frozen loaf pan and then put in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
It freezes more pretty solid so you will need to give it about 20 minutes of thaw time before scooping. I recommend serving it in a waffle cone!
As much as I am hoping this summer will go by slowly I am also looking forward to the fall when we will be heading on a trip to Italy with my family and eating some real, authentic cannolis!!!
What are you looking forward to this summer!?
- 15oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 13.66oz coconut cream
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup pistachios, unshelled, divided
- 1 cup mini-chocolate chips, divided
- Put a loaf pan in the freezer at least 1 hour before starting
- Add the ricotta and coconut cream to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment
- Whisk on high for 3 minutes
- Add sweetened condensed milk, whisk on high 2 more minutes
- Add vanilla extract and cinnamon, whisk until combined
- Fold in ½ cup pistachios and ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Remove loaf pan from the freezer, pour in half of the ice cream mixture
- Sprinkle ¼ cup pistachios and ¼ cup mini-chocolate chips on top
- Add remaining ice cream mixture
- Top with remaining ¼ cup of pistachios and mini-chocolate chips
- Freeze at least 4 hours or until set
- Remove from freezer and let thaw about 20 minutes before scooping
Pin It For Later: