When you can’t decide between banana bread and zucchini bread, the only logical decision is to combine them into this Loaded Banana Zucchini Bread! Together the combination is unbeatable! The addition of the nuts and chocolate turn this bread into a party in your mouth!
Over the weekend my parents and brother were in town visiting. On Sunday morning we tried out Junction Bakery in Del Ray in Alexandria for breakfast. We had planned on eating there, but it was so crowded we ended up taking our food to go. As we were waiting for our order we started reminiscing about a time when I was very young and we were camping on Martha’s Vineyard. My Dad and I had gone out to get some baked goods for everyone for breakfast at Black Dog Bakery. When we got back to the camp site my Dad pulled out the bag of goodies and little me said “I’ve got the bag too!”. Apparently, in trying to be helpful, I ripped off someone else’s bag of bakery treats! I was too young to have any recollection of this event, but I am told the bag was full of all the best baked goodies – better than the ones we had ordered 🙂 This is just to let you know that I have had good taste in baked goods since a young age, hehe.
Disclaimer: my Dad did go back to the bakery and try to pay for the treats I had taken.
AND, going back to Junction Bakery, the wait was long and it was packed, but for good reason! The food was amazing – I highly recommend it!
This Loaded Banana Zucchini Bread is really easy to make and even easier to eat 🙂 You can make it by hand without the help of an electric mixer. If you are looking for something fun to make with your kids I think this would be a great recipe. The kids can be mashing the bananas while you are shredding the zucchini! Plus, you get them to eat zucchini – win, win!
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1¼ cup white all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp chocolate chunks
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas (using a fork or potato masher)
- Add melted coconut oil, white sugar and vanilla extract, mix with a spoon until fully combined
- Mix in egg
- Fold in zucchini
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and sea salt
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet, mixing as you add
- Fold in ½ cup walnuts and ½ cup chocolate chunks
- Grease 2 mini-loaf pans or 1 regular sized loaf pan
- Add mixture to pan(s)
- Sprinkle with remaining walnuts and chocolate chunks
- Bake for 25 minutes for the small loafs or 40-45 minutes for the regular sized loaf
Pin It For Later: