Hello! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! We had a great Christmas up in Connecticut. I cannot believe how fast our time flew by, the holidays seem to speed up every year! And to think we only have 3 days of 2016 left!?! Crazy. Well, I guess that means today I am sharing my last 2016 recipe with you – Enjoy!
A few weeks ago at the cookie swap I hosted I set up a hot chocolate bar. I made homemade hot chocolate in the slow cooker and had lots of toppings like marshmallows, whipped cream, crushed peppermint, chocolate chips and Kahlúa! Kahlúa is a coffee liqueur, a splash will add a little kick to your hot chocolate or coffee drink. In the case of this recipe I’m adding a little kick to my Double Chocolate Banana Bread by coating it in a Kahlúa glaze!
I used frozen bananas in this bread (bananas pictured are just for show 🙂 ) Whenever I have over-ripened bananas sitting on the counter I throw them in the freezer, without even removing the skin, and take them out whenever the mood for banana bread or a smoothie strikes! I put them in the microwave on defrost for 2 minutes for quick use before smashing them up into the batter.
In order to maximize the Kahlúa glaze surface area, poke holes in the top of your baked bread for the glaze to seep into when poured over top. I used a chop stick to make the holes – it’s a perfect size!
The glaze is simply Kahlúa and confectioners sugar whisked together.
You will lose a good portion of your glaze to run-off so make sure to glaze the bread on a raised surface like a cooling rack, otherwise your bread will get soggy.
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9X5in loaf pan
- In a large bowl, mash bananas
- Mix in white and brown sugar
- Add greek yogurt, stir
- Add eggs 1 at a time
- Stir in vanilla extract
- In a smaller bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix until fully combined
- Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips
- Transfer batter to loaf pan
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean
- Let cool for 10 minutes
- While bread is cooling, whisk together Kahlúa and confectioners sugar
- Once bread is cool, poke small holes in the top using a chop stick or the bottom of a cooking spoon
- Pour glaze over the bread
- Allow glaze to harden
- Slice and serve