I hope your week is off to a great start, I can’t believe it is Wednesday already!
I had a house full over the weekend with my mom and friend Sarah staying with me for the Bridal Brunch as well as puppy sitting for our friend’s vizsla, Piper (Walter was away at his bachelor party). This was Sarah’s first time meeting Layla and meeting vizslas in general, but they got pretty comfy with her right off the bat 🙂
Piper just hopped right up into her lap and of course Layla doesn’t want to miss out on any of the fun things Piper might be doing so she was right there looking for attention too! The dogs had me up at 6:30am on Saturday morning, so I decided to whip up a batch of Coconut Blackberry Scones for us to enjoy for breakfast before we took the dogs to Burke Lake Park for a hike.
I think we successfully tired them out…
The scones were a big hit! I used coconut oil and coconut milk which gave them their coconut flavor. They were super moist and had a delicious, light coconut flavor. The recipe I was adapting them from does not call for much sugar, so I also added a tablespoon of agave to ensure sweetness and they were the perfect amount of sweet!
Blackberries were buy one get one free at the grocery store last week so I could not resist them! They made a deliciously sweet and juicy addition to the scones 🙂
The scones came together quickly and only had to bake for just over 20 minutes making them an easy weekend breakfast treat!
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbs agave
- 2 cups blackberries
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl if using a hand mixer
- Add coconut oil, mix until the batter looks granule
- Add coconut milk and agave, mix until smooth
- Fold in 2 cups of blackberries
- Put the batter on a floured surface, work with your hands to form into a smooth, large mound
- Cut into eighths and place onto a baking sheet
- Bake at 375 degrees for 22-24 minutes
- Feel free to add shredded coconut or to substitute the blackberries for your favorite berry!
Hot out of the oven they were irresistible! Yum!