Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall foods, I even like caramel butternut squash ice cream (but that is probably not all that surprising to you by now 🙂 ). But they can be dangerous, cutting up a butternut squash is not easy and there is lots of room for error putting your precious fingers in jeopardy. Well… as it turns out, there is a better way! Did you know you can cook a whole butternut squash in the slow cooker!? I didn’t and I didn’t believe it until I tried it out for myself!
Literally all you do is put the butternut squash in the slow cooker and turn it on. You can cook it on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. You would think you need to put some water in it or something, but the butternut squash cooks itself in its own juices. Once it is done, let it cool a little while so you don’t burn off those preserved fingers of yours then slice it, dig out the seeds and peel off the skin. This technique is a game changer when it comes to the frequency at which I will be making butternut squash, it just went from a challenging, time consuming dish to one of the easiest ~ score!
With basically no effort needed to cook the squash this Butternut Squash Beer Soup is a breeze! Once my butternut squash was cooked I scrapped it out of the skin into my Ninja blender and processed it on high with olive oil, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, I sautéed onion, apple and garlic until soft. I added the cooked onion, apple and garlic to the butternut squash in the blender and processed on high. On my stove top I warmed 2 cups of chicken broth over medium heat. Whisking, I poured the squash mixture into the broth. Last I added 1 bottle of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, it is a heavy beer with a lot of flavor which gives the soup added richness. I let that simmer over low heat for 20 minutes to let the beer break down, the soup thicken and the flavors mesh.
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bottle Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
- Cook whole butternut squash in slow cooker, on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours
- Allow to cool until it can be handled safety, cut open, remove seeds
- Scoop flesh out of skin into a blender
- Add 2 tbs olive oil, sea salt and pepper to blender, process on high until smooth
- On the stovetop, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat
- Add onion, apple and garlic, sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes
- Add sautéed onion, apple and garlic to blender, process on high until smooth
- Add chicken broth to a large pot, heat over low heat
- Pour blended soup mixture into chicken broth, whisk
- Add beer to soup, whisk
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until soup has reached desired consistency
- Serve hot