Hello! It’s been a while. I’ve had a few frustrating weeks of failed recipes and lots of wondering what I should test and make and share here on the blog. Today I am taking it back to the basics, back to where I started this blog on a whim one winter afternoon. Back to chocolate chip cookies. A standard in any kitchen, yet there are so many ways to make them. Everyone has their own chocolate chip cookie recipe, everyone has a favorite. These are unique in that they use brown butter. It gives them a richer, nuttier flavor, but all in all they are still a classic chocolate chip cookie.
I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want this blog to be. Where I want it to go. I think and I think and I can’t come up with a solid answer or plan. But I do know that I want it to be for my readers, I want you to want to read this blog every day or every week and to find some value in it. I would love to know what you want to see here. As much as I blog for myself I also blog for YOU and I would love any feedback on how I could tailor my content to better fit your needs!
Back to these cookies… you can use brown butter in lots of things and it’s very easy to make. Like I said, it adds a richer and nuttier flavor and it will make your kitchen smell like heaven! In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat and wait for it to start to bubble and foam, at that point start whisking until it turns a golden brown color, remove from heat. For these cookies you have to bring it back to room temperature to a solid state before mixing up the cookies.
These cookies are thick and flaky with a soft middle. I suggest using a bittersweet chocolate chip because I think it compliments the nuttier, richer flavor that brown butter gives the dough. And, of course, I suggest loading up on the chips! My preference is multiple chips per bite, but you can adjust that as you see fit 🙂
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat, once it melts and begins to foam start whisking
- After about 3 minutes of whisking, once the butter has turned a golden brown color, remove from heat
- Carefully pour butter into a head safe container, put in refrigerator to cool at least 1 hour
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Add brown butter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with blade attachment, beat on high
- Add brown sugar, beat on high until sugar and butter are creamed, at least 2 minutes
- Add eggs 1 at a time
- Mix in vanilla
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and sea salt
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the electric mixer, mix until just combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Roll dough into golf-ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 12 minutes
If you have any feedback on Chocolate Covered Cheetah and what I can do to help you as my reader I would love to hear it! Please feel free to drop me a note in the comments below or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you!
Pin It For Later: