Hello! Happy Wednesday!
Over the weekend I went apple picking with some girlfriends out in Markham,VA at Stribling Orchard. It was not quite apple picking weather with high humidity and temps around 95 degrees, but we made the most of it. We were able to pick Johnathan, Macintosh and Golden Delicious. We were definitely a little early to the apple picking party, the apples are ok, but not GREAT yet. I think another trip to the orchard will need to be in order for later in the season.
In addition to picking apples I also picked up a 1/2 gallon of apple cider to get to work on my fall baking list! First up Baked Apple Cider Donuts! Baked donuts are quickly becoming one of my favorite things to bake. So far all of my donut baking ventures have proven easily successful. Whoever invented the donut pan is a genius in my book!
The first pan full I filled 3/4 full, they came out ok, but I like a big, beautiful donut. So for the second pan I filled them to the brim – a great adjustment!
When the donuts came out of the oven I let them cool to a point where I was able to handle them. Then I dipped both sides in melted butter and then let them go for a swim in the cinnamon-sugar pool 🙂
At first I tried brushing them with butter, but if you really want them to hold on to the cinnamon sugar coating you are way better off dipping them.
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Grease donut pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with a whisk
- Add apple cider, milk and melted butter to the eggs
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry, mix until combined
- Spoon mixture into donut pan, just below the brim
- Place in oven, bake for 9-11 minutes until set
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together sugars and cinnamon
- Pour melted butter into another medium sized bowl
- Working one at a time dip both sides of the donut into the melted butter
- Toss with cinnamon-sugar until completely coated
- Set on rack to cool
- For best results enjoy donuts fresh
They are best still warm and freshly baked, but it has been a few days since I baked them and they still seem to be holding up well!
What is on your fall baking agenda?