Fun game-day or party app, these Asian Cashew Chicken Salad Wontons are poppable and on the lighter side. An exciting way to incorporate salad into your festivities!
When I think Super Bowl I think nachos, cheesy dips, pizza and wings. But with all those indulgent apps sometimes you need a lighter, better-for-you option to balance it out. I think your guests will go crazy for these Asian Cashew Chicken Salad Wontons! They are still super fun as all apps should be, but they sneak in some veggies that your guests will thank you for.
So how do you make these little wonton cups? It’s easy! Use a mini-muffin pan to form the wontons into little cups. Make sure the bottom is flat so they can both hold the salad and also stand up straight on a platter. Bake for 8 minutes at 375°F, cool, and they are good to go!
The key to appetizers is to make them easy to grab and eat in just a few bites. Generally it is hard to do that with a salad, but here the wontons come in to save the day.
It is best if you can make the salad the night before or a few hours ahead of time so the dressing has time to marinate. You can also bake the wontons in advance! But don’t fill them until right before your guests arrive – no body likes a soggy bottomed wonton!
No matter if you are team football or team apps (or team commercials, 😉 ) I wish you a Happy Super Bowl Sunday!
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup green shredded cabbage
- 1 cup red shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup edamame (cooked)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Form wonton wrappers into cup shapes in a mini muffin tin
- Bake for 8 minutes, set aside
- In a small bowl whisk together rice wine vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, sea slat and sesame oil, set aside
- In a large bowl mix together chicken, cabbage, carrots, edamame and red pepper
- Pour dressing over salad, mix
- Add cashews, toss
- Spoon salad into wontons right before serving
Pin It For Later: